Wednesday, January 1, 2014

10 Cooking Essentials for the New Year

10 Cooking Essentials for the New Year 

Happy New Year’s everyone! Here is a list of 10 tools that every kitchen needs to make the next year of cooking easier. If you like the tools you see feel free to click the links below the images, they will take you to some great products with great prices! 








Reusable non-stick Baking Mats:

These baking sheets are an amazing invention.  You can use it with any baking dishes that you own. Personally I love to use it when I am making cookies, meringues, and biscuit’s. There is no mess left on the sheets and the finished product never sticks! These make your life easier and leaves you with perfect cookies! I attached a link to an amazing deal on a set of baking mats.

Artisan Metal Works Silicone Non-Stick Baking Mat Set
                                         











Hand Mixer:  

Any kitchen needs a great hand mixer! They are the wonder tool and helps with so many different recipes! I love to use mine whenever I make mashed potatoes, meringues, cookies, whipped cream, etc. The possibilities are endless. You want to make sure you have a good quality mixer that can handle any task you throw at it. One great brand that I have found is Cuisinart, they produce great quality hand mixers and when I was trying to decide which one to buy between a Kitchenaid and Cuisinart and I am very happy with the choice I made. Below is a link to a great deal I found on one. 

Cuisinart HM-50 Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer










Cast Iron Skillet: 

The best thing about using a Cast Iron skillet is that they are the one thing that you pass down to your kids, grand kids, etc. But that all depends on how you treat them. If you use it right these skillets are incredibly useful and really help amp up your dishes. You cannot break this thing, it’s made of Iron and are always reliable. It nonstick, cheap, versatile (you can make virtually anything in them as well as throw them in the oven, on the camp fire, or on the stove top.). Heat distribution in cast Iron skillets are absolutely amazing, they are also grills! Stuck in a college dorm with no grill but a stove top? Have no worries cast iron skillet is here! Finally, you save money on soap!

Lodge Pre-Seasoned Skillet

My Cast Iron with Baked Mac-n-Chee









Baking Sheet:

Don't be fooled by the title, baking sheets can be used for more than just cookies! I love to roast vegetables, make homemade chips, bake potatoes, really anything! Even heating up frozen food a baking sheet is a necessity. 

Good Cook Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie Sheet







Good Cook Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie Sheet







Chef’s Knife:
After going an entire year without a chef's Knife I can honestly say that this is a serious necessity. A decent sharpened Chef’s Knife can make any job of prepping food easier. Thank goodness my grandmother gave me a Chef's Knife when she did, using dull cheap pairing knifes did not do the job that one of these can do, and they were more dangerous and are not a good knife to learn to cook with. In fact my boyfriend ended up cutting himself more with a cheap knife then he did with the Chef's Knife. If you have money to spare this would be the one thing to splurge on. You can never go wrong with a great knife. 

OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Chef Knife

















Silicone Spatula:
Silicone spatula's work wonders and can be used in many different dishes. Personally I use mine to clean out bowls to make sure I get enough cookie dough, batter, etc. out as well as using it to cook up certain meals. The great thing about silicone is it is heat resistant and can stand the heat of the stove top while you mix your scrambled eggs. Spatulas come in all shapes and sizes, it’s great to have a variety as each spatula can have a different purpose. This tool has many different uses and that is why it is in my top ten cooking tools for 2014 list.  


Tovolo 12-Inch Silicone Spatula Tools, Nylon Handle, Set of 3, includes Spatula, Angled Turner, Spoonula, Summer Sky Color






















Mixing Bowl
Mixing bowls are a must have, and the great thing about these mixing bowls is their dual purposes as both a mixing bowl and Tupperware. I personally prefer glass mixing bowls, one big reason is you are able to see your batter completely and you are able to see if you missed a bit of flour on the bottom. And if you are done baking cookies and want to save the batter for later you can throw the lid on and put it in your fridge, even better if you made a big pot of soup and have leftovers pour it into the bowl then slap the lid on. Not to mention these bowls are on a great deal!  

Pyrex Smart Essentials 6 Piece Mixing Bowl Set














Large Sauce pot
This is a serious necessity, whether it be cooking pasta, making sauce or steaming vegetables a decent sized pot is a must. Preferably four quarts, and made of a decent material to ensure proper heat distribution. Last year I used a friend’s pot that was terrible at distributing heat evenly and it took twenty minutes or more to get the water to boil in it.  Now I am on the search for a new cooking pot and found this great product that also happens to be under $30! 

Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 4-Quart Covered Saucepot










A Great Set of Cooking Mitts:

The worst thing is realizing that you have nothing to pull out that steaming hot tray of cookies/baked mac n cheese out of the oven once you have spent so much time cooking it. That is why it is always great to have a set of cooking Mitts on hand so you can avoid possibly burning your hands and ruining your dish towels. There are so many different types of cooking mitts that you can use them to add personality to your kitchen. Or you can stick with basic ones, I always find it hard to get the cute ones because I fear them getting stained or ruined. I have attached a mitt I found that has a great selection of colors as well as great reviews. 



Ritz Royale Collection Puppet Oven Mitt with Neoprene




























Pyrex Set
I am thrilled to say I have my first Pyrex Glass bake ware/Tupperware Set. I am so excited to use it and all its possibilities. This is a must have and are yet another multi use item. One of my biggest pet peeves is stained plastic Tupperware, but now that is a thing of the past. I am even able to bake things inside of my Tupperware so leftovers can just stay in the dish and that means one less dish I have to clean! These dishes are also microwave safe, this is a dream come true for a cook who wants more simplicity in their kitchen. 


Pyrex Storage 10-Piece Set







No comments:

Post a Comment